(Figure 1. Moving can be exhausting and can even ruin the mood for a new move.)
When people discuss anything about moving house, they usually present horror stories. Stories of how moving made them want to never change houses ever again. Or stories of how they lost they lost sleep on a missing remote.
Not everybody can live the minimalist life, and we tend to carry almost all our belongings with us when we move. This means taking along all your appliances, furniture, and other stuff at home. As a result, moving becomes a complicated process that we all pray we just get over with so we can enjoy our new home.
So how do we make it easy? Well, here are a few tips you can use for a painless move that will ensure you are ready to enjoy your new home fully.
(Figure 2. You don’t have to break your back on move day)
Tips on How to Move House Easily
1. Start with organization – Normally, you would have around a month or more to prepare for a move. Use this time to plan out what you need to do. Don’t wait until the last minute. Make sure you create a list of the things that you need to accomplish before the move.
2. Create a strategy – What’s a plan without a proper strategy? Find out how you are going to move from old home to new home in the easiest way possible. Do you need help for the move? Ask friends who can help out. In case you are moving to a different city or state, you may need to start contacting a moving company to get quotations.
3. What’s your transportation of choice? – If you are moving just a few blocks away then making more than one trip might be fine. However, not everybody has that luxury, so you have to find the right-sized mode of transportation, so you are done in one trip. Here’s a simple guideline you can consider:
a. If you are moving to a one-bedroom apartment, then a 16’ truck from your local rental company will be enough.
b. A 24’-26’ truck is needed to move all the contents of two or three fully furnished bedroom in one trip.
c. A regular house may need two to three trips from a 24’ truck.
4. Reduce – One of the best parts about moving is going through all your stuff to make sure they are organized. This is the perfect opportunity for you to purge. Do you have clothes that no longer fit? Furniture that will probably look out of place in your new home? You can sell all these things or donate them to a local shelter. It’s also a good time for you to check all the documents you have accumulated all these years and to sort them.
(Figure 3. It seems like total chaos but it will be your brand new home in a while.)
5. Have a labelling plan – Your move is only as good as your labelling as they say. It’s not just putting items on boxes and hoping you remember where you put each one. Use labels and/or tags on each box so you and the movers know what’s on the box and where they should put it. For starters, you can include which part of the house the box should be placed so you can unbox it later without having to move them again.
6. Look for help – If you are a bit strapped for cash then getting friends to help can work. However, it is advisable to get a professional mover to help you especially when you have sensitive items to move. Also, don’t forget to treat your helpers to a snack or drink during the move. Not only is it a great way to re-energize and rehydrate but it’s also the best way to cap a moving day.
Author: Lean Loking